Central Lakes College now offers some classes that do not use textbooks. There are some benefits to this.
- Students spend a lot of money on textbooks
- The paper textbooks can be very heavy causing back problems and even problems with brain and vision when carried in a backpack.
- Ebooks are nice, less to carry, and allow authors (and artist and photographers) to be paid for their work, however some formats do not work with every device.
- CLC leaves it up to the instructor to choose the textbook so different instructors will use different books anyway. Sometimes different books have to be bought for the advanced class after the beginning class.
- Some classes I had to buy textbooks that were never even used as part of the instruction of the class.